A quiet welcome to the month of June, and the official beginning of Winter in Australia. For those in the northern hemisphere heading toward summer holidays, do enjoy your beach reads while we snuggle under our favourite reading rug.
Here is a quick recap of what happened at Booklover Book Reviews during May:
Book Reviews Published:
Click on the pictures to read the reviews
Regular reviewer Tony rated The Levels of Life by Julian Barnes his top read for the month, while my top pick was the very entertaining Dead Lions by Mick Herron.
Black Bread White Beer is one of the 8 titles featured in the British summer reading promotion Fiction Uncovered.
The short stories Ithaca in My Mind, The Metamorphosis of Troubadour Merriwether and The Water of Life were all from Aussie Authors, as was the gothic mystery Poet’s Cottage.
Disclosure: If you click a link in this post and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission.
Other Bookish activities:
- I duked it out in a “Book Debate” on the merits of the Pulitzer Prize winning title The Orphan Master’s Son by Adam Johnson at Bookkaholic – read the debate and let us know who you think won
- Featured a guest post from Danna Pycher as part of her book tour for her title 3rd Generation and Beyond
- Teased you with an excerpt from Mimi by Lucy Ellmann and the opening lines of And The Soft Wind Blows, the quirky debut novella from Lance Umenhofer
- Jean Ryan, author of Survival Skills, discussed the relative merits of short stories in a guest post title, The Ready Feast
- Shared with readers some of those short-listed for the Australian Book Industry Awards and the Annual Book Design Awards, and then recapped the winners announced at the awards ceremony held during the Sydney Writer’s Festival
- Compiled a selection of Book releases by Aussie Authors in June 2013 for you to get excited about, but I found less titles than usual this month. Reviewers of Australian titles, please do let me know if there are any scheduled publications I have missed?
- Announced the winner of the giveaway of Jean Ryan’s short story collection Survival Skills
- Considered the Book Cover Battle – The Start of Everything by Emily Winslow – which do you prefer?
What’s planned for June?
- Publishing reviews of
Click on the pictures for book information
- Reading review titles The Englishman and the Butterfly by Ryan Asmussen, The Flute Player by Shawn Mihalik, This Is Paradise by Kristiana Kahakauwila, Three Lives of Tomomi Ishikawa by Benjamin Constable
- I will be drawing the winner of my current international giveaway of a copy of The Gunners of Shenyang by Yu Jihui (entries close 8 June) and launching giveaways of more great titles, including a copy of the book everyone is talking about, A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra.
- I have signed up to be part of Judith (Leeswammes’) Literary Giveaway Blog Hop, June 22-26th. It was great fun the last time I participated and am sure it will be again. I haven’t decided which book I will be giving away yet, but it will be one or more great literary titles from authors featured on Booklover Book Reviews.